Monday, June 24, 2013

Funfetti Cake



Cakes were what first got me "into the business", and I'll always remember that.

My birthday's coming up in 4 days, and I won't be in Hong Kong during that time, so I figured I should bake myself a cake before I leave for Hokkaido (yay!).

I scrolled through many, many, many, cake recipes throughout the past week and I couldn't seem to make my mind on one. Should I make that extra-dark Hershey's chocolate cake? How 'bout that nice lemon sponge I saw? Or that beautiful cheesecake I made ages ago? 

I finally made my mind up on funfetti cake.


I have seen SO many funfetti cake recipes, but I never could pull myself to go make one. Eh, it's way too much work. Nah, that's way too many sprinkles for my mind to handle. Later, I don't have time for it now. 

Excuses just seemed to come and go, but I finally found the perfect recipe and decided to give it a try.

And guess what? 

I don't regret it the least bit.



Yeah, you've probably figured it out by now.

I'm not the best cake decorator. 

I never will be.



If you want a big and florid cake, go find Buddy Valastro. I have mad respect for that dude.

But to me, what matters the most about baking is what the finished product tastes like. I do enjoy some decorations and stuff, but at the end of the day, it's all about how enjoyable it was while you were savoring it on your palette.



I have to admit though, I was terribly surprised when I cut it open. I had no slightest idea how pretty it would look! But the best part was that the cake tasted oh-so-good--it's dad approved!

The cake had such a moist, buttery crumb--it was that good! I'm definitely not the best cake froster, but I think the sprinkles on top stole the show--and distracted the viewer well! I used a little bit of what I call a "swoosh" technique to frost the top. I simply used an offset spatula and took advantage of its length by making "swooshes" with the frosting around the top of the cake!



I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I did run out of "normal" sprinkles. So.....I had to go buy some more, but they didn't have "normal" ones! They only had something called a "bat mix". I had to get that one because it was the only thing close enough to "normal" sprinkles, but it did morph my cake into a Halloween-funfetti cake (not that I mind though!). 


Of course, I would've loved a wider range of colors in my cake, but I think it turned out pretty well for a first-timer!

I would definitely make this cake again--of course, when I can find nicer sprinkles!



Hope the sprinkles brightened up your day!

and.....

P.S. The cake passes for a carrot and spinach cake, as one my somewhat opinionated friends on Facebook commented. I guess if you switched the sprinkles for carrots and spinach, you might get the kids (like me!) to eat their veggies!


Happy baking!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment