Sunday, May 26, 2013

Mickey Mouse Cake

If you haven't realized already, I've been posting a lot on old treats that I've been making, and that's only because I've been oh so busy recently with a gazillion tests and fairs and stuff. This post is yet another one of those oldies.

I made this cake back last year or two years ago (I forgot) for my little brother's 4th/5th birthday. The cake itself was actually quite ugly looking back, but I guess that's just because I've improved quite a bit with my baking over the past few years! Anyhow, it's always nice to look back and feel satisfied looking at how far I've come. I can't believe it's been almost 6 years since I first started baking!


The cake base was a chunky chocolate sponge. That actually tasted quite good, and the texture was superb--one of the best sponges I've made! The decorations were really just made out of melted chocolate and rice krispies treats. I simple molded the treats in a bowl, and then attached some ears with store-bought frosting!


The Mickey head was surprisingly easy to make, as all I had to do was mold, dip, and chill! The chocolate actually set really quickly, and in the end, I think it was somewhat close to the Mickey Mouse hats they sell at Disney!


I frosted the cake just in whipped cream, because unlike me, the rest of my family HATES sugary treats, which I find funny because I'm always baking treats that are loaded with sugar! I love using whipped cream to frost cakes because it's so easy to spread and gives you a nice, smooth, finish! Of course, I could've brushed up on the frosting and decorating skills, but hey, I was what, only 11/12 at the time? 

All I had to do at the end after I frosted the cake was attach the Mickey head on top, pipe my brother's name on it, and sprinkle the cake with some nonpareils! Looking back, I definitely would've made changes to a LOT of things, but hey, everything is part of a huge learning experience, and I'm thankful for all the mistakes that I've made because I can definitely learn from them!

Happy baking!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment