Monday, July 15, 2013

Not-So-Normal Lemon Bars

This whole confectioners' sugar thing almost made me want to belt out "Let It Snow." Almost.

Spotted anything different/abnormal with these squishy little squares yet?

Yeah, I bet you did. Or maybe you didn't. 



Normally, lemon bars have a buttery pie crust/shortbread type of crust. But do you remember how I baked that cheesecake a couple of days ago? I had LOADS of digestive biscuits left over, and I just didn't want to fuss with making buttery pastry, so I decided to use the same type of digestive base that I used for my cheesecake for the lemon bars.


They turned out pretty well for a first timer. And yes, I have been doing a lot of "firsts" lately. It's not bad to take risks, eh? 

^Stacking fail, LOL.

However, I do only say that it turned out "pretty well" and not absolutely out-of-this-world amazing because of how it tasted.


To be honest with you, I hate eating the stuff I make. I just think that it tastes gross and simply unappealing. But somehow people like it.

There's something different with these bars though. I feel like they really are Gordon Ramsay swear-worthy. They tasted really, REALLY bland, and they were kind of weird and floury in texture.


I think the main reason why these didn't turn out so well was because I added too much flour. At the beginning, I was a little hesitant about the batter and I didn't know what was considered the perfect consistency. The lemon filling just looked too watery (I'm a first timer, I know!) so I threw in some flour. I really had no sense of direction or sanity at that point and I was just doing whatever I wanted.


Does this mean I'm giving up on lemon bars though? No. In fact, I'm going to try 10 times harder to get it right the next time.


Despite the recipe "fail", I had loads of fun taking photos! 

Happy baking!



P.S.: If you're wondering why there's no watermark for these photos, it's because I got so sick of editing and overlaying. I give up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment