Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs--Recipe included!





A hard boiled egg is something that seems oh so simple, but is pretty hard to master. 

Now, if you know me well, you'll know that I HATE egg yolks, so hard boiled eggs are my favorite type of eggs because I can just easily separate the whites from the yolks!



I got a little hungry today but I didn't want to settle for something gross and unhealthy, so I went for hard boiled eggs.
After doing some research, I decided to try this new method out. And boy, did it work like magic!



You see how nicely cooked that egg is? You'll know that it isn't overdone if it doesn't have that nasty grayish greenish ring around the yolk!


I sliced 'em up and just ate them like that! Of course, without taking a few pictures and removing the yolk! Ew!


Looks like a party on a chopping board! They look just like confetti! Love it!


Got just a little too carried away taking pictures of eggs with my brother's magnet letters! Oops!

Now if you're that random person out there who's wondering how I managed to take so many pictures of eggs, I don't blame you. Trust me, I surprised myself too when I realized how much fun I was having and how much time I wasted just by taking pictures!

The "shoot" was actually really easy to clean up, because I took all of the pictures on either a black plastic tray or a wood chopping board! All I did was cut up a few eggs, crumble up the shells and yolks, and have a little fun with them!

And if you've been waiting for it, here's the recipe. I kind of switched things up around with the original recipe and voila! I had it!

Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs

Ingredients:
-Eggs, however many you need
-Cold tap water
-A saucepan, big enough to hold your eggs and at least 1.5 inches of water
-Ice, if you want to speed up the cooling process

Method:
1. Fill up the saucepan with at least 1.5 inches of COLD tap water, but if you're using a lot of eggs, fill up the pan with as much water as you need to cover up the eggs.
2. Gently, GENTLY place the eggs into the saucepan, making sure you don't crack them.
3. Turn the heat up to high, and let the water and eggs boil.
4. Once boiled, turned the heat down to low and let simmer for 1 minute.
5. Then, turn off the heat and cover the saucepan. Let the eggs cook with the remaining heat for around 12 minutes. However, if you are using more than 4 (I used 4), I advise you to let them sit for a little bit longer in the saucepan. A few extra minutes will NOT cause the eggs to overcook.

Cooling and Handling:
After around 12 minutes, use a slotted spoon to scoop out the eggs. You can then run them under the tap so that they're cool enough on the outside to hold, then put them in a medium bowl. Drop some ice cubes in (I used to medium-sized scoops) and pour some cold tap water into the bowl, enough to at least cover up the eggs 3/4 of the way.
The eggs will be cool enough to peel when all the ice has melted. Enjoy!

Happy baking!

                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment